Adrienne BoettingerFriday,13 March 2015
The left ridiculed President George W. Bush’s intelligence. The right derided President Bill Clinton’s philandering. The left accused President George H.W. Bush of going to war over oil. The left said President Ronald Reagan was out of touch with the average American. The right said President Jimmy Carter was mean-spirited. We could go back to the beginning of the modern day two-party system and consistently find the other side critiquing whatever President was in power.
But then “this president” got elected and re-elected. And things were a bit different. It wasn’t enough to criticize his policies. Or even mock his pattern of speech, wearing of mom jeans, or how much he’s aged while in office. Gone was the thin veneer of respect the other party used to display for at least the office of the presidency, if not for the person who occupied that office.
The levels of disrespect directed at “this president” have been startlingly disgusting from the beginning of his administration through the present day.
– South Carolina Republican Congressman Joe Wilson shouting, “You lie!” at “this president” during a 2009 speech to Congress on health care (Wilson not only remains in office but the year after his display, he easily won reelection)
– Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich describing “this president” with phrases like “Kenyan Anti-Colonial” (why is anti-colonial a bad thing? Wasn’t that sort of how the United States became a country?)
– Arizona Governor and general wackmobile Jan Brewer sticking her finger in “this president’s” face to show her displeasure with him
– Creator of “The Apprentice” and owner of the worst toupee in the history of time joining countless of other birther lunatics questioning “this president’s” citizenship
– Current Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell names his top political priority of 2010 not as representing his constituents and faithfully executing his solemn duties as a U.S. Senator but as denying “this president” a second term
– Former New York City Mayor joining the other racist asshats who have questioned “this president’s” love of America
– House Speaker John Boehner invites campaigning-for-his-reelection Israeli President Netanyahu to speak before Congress to criticize “this president’s” policy toward Iran
– And last but not least, 47 motherfucking Republican Senators write an open letter to Ayatollah Khomeini and other Iranian leaders to warn them against trusting anything discussed with “this president” during the P5 + 1 nuclear negotiations with Iran. Then their apologists have the ginormous balls of fury to blame “this president” for the letter.
“This president” is what the far right uses to dehumanize President Barack Obama. “This president” is how they set him apart from real Americans. “This president” is how the National Rifle Association strikes fear into the hearts of its most paranoid members. “This president” is how conservative media suggests or outright declares he is a Muslim-loving, anti-American, gun-hating, imperialist dictator while simultaneously lacking the autocratic-in-a-good-way-like-Putin traits they apparently admire.
“This president” is what they say because they know enough not to openly refer to him with a racial slur.
And with each day that passes and each unbelievable slight levied against him, I am consistently amazed that “this president” resists what must be an insatiable urge to punch them all in the goddam throat. Because he knows, “When ignorant folks want to advertise their ignorance you don’t really have to do anything, you just let them talk.”